Local News

Somali mourners march in defiance after deadly al-Shabaab blast

Jan 2nd · 1 min read
FILE: Al-Qaeda affiliated al-Shabaab militant group claimed responsibility for the attack./ PHOTO: Abdulaziz Billow – Twitter

Hundreds of people gathered in Somalia’s capital, Mogadishu, on Thursday to mourn and show their resilience following a deadly blast last week that killed close to 90 people.

The mourners were joined by government officials in a march through the city’s streets to show solidarity with the affected families.

The blast took place on Saturday at a security checkpoint at a busy intersection in Mogadishu and also left over 100 others injured.

Al-Qaeda affiliated al-Shabaab militant group claimed responsibility for the attack.

Mogadishu mayor Omar Filish who organized the event said the attack will not dampen the spirit of the Somali people.

His sentiments echoed President Abdulahi Farmajo’s who earlier this week said the aim of the attack was to demoralize the Somali people, but that terrorists would never stop the country’s rebuilding process.

Somalia has been dogged by conflict for more than 10 years, propagated by the al-Qaeda-affiliated al-Shabaab terror group.

Saturday’s attack has drawn wide condemnation from various leaders internationally, including the United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres, Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and Djibouti’s President Ismail Omar Guelleh among many others.

last updated: 2020-01-03@09:01